About Mukurtu Mobile
What is Mukurtu Mobile?
Mukurtu Mobile is a mobile authoring tool for Mukurtu CMS, a digital heritage management system designed with the needs of indigenous communities in mind. The growth of Mukurtu CMS over the last two years has expanded, Mukurtu users come from all types of local communities who want to manage how they share their cultural materials.
With Mukurtu Mobile you can create content on-the-go and upload media to your own Mukurtu CMS-powered community archive, while maintaining control over your content. You can attach multiple media to your content and use our Mukurtu Core metadata fields to build a story about your media, an event, person or memory.
Starting with version 1.5, Mukurtu Mobile is available for iPhone, iPad, Android phones and Android tablets. Currently we’re distributing version 2.0 of the app. Read more below, get the app or turn to our Support page to get started!
What can Mukurtu Mobile do for me?
You can use Mukurtu Mobile to collect digital stories, events and places of interest on your smart phone or tablet and upload them directly to your own Mukurtu CMS powered site, or try it out on our demo site.
Each item created using Mukurtu Mobile is uploaded to Mukurtu CMS as one Digital Heritage item. We call these stories because of the rich narration that can result from Mukurtu's choice of metadata fields and multiple media support within the app.
If you haven't tried Mukurtu CMS yet, please visit mukurtu.org to signup for a free hosted account or download the software.
What are the differences between Mukurtu Mobile and Mukurtu CMS?
Mukurtu CMS is a content management system and community archive platform. The heart and soul of Mukurtu CMS are its cultural and sharing protocols that allows users to manage, share, and preserve their digital heritage following their own cultural needs. Mukurtu Mobile is a mobile application that works with your Mukurtu CMS powered site to enable your users and community members to create stories on-the-go and upload them to your Mukurtu site in real time. It’s heritage in your hands!
You will need your site's url and a valid user ID and password before you can start using Mukurtu Mobile. If you don't have any or all of these, please contact your site's manager or your community administrator, or get in touch by sending us an email to email@example.com.
Features and Roadmap
Release 2.0 - Features
Mukurtu Mobile 2.0 launched in July 2014 for Android phones and tablets and for iPhone and iPad. Mukurtu 2.0 main features include:
- Seamless integration with Drupal/Mukurtu CMS
- Collect content offline
- Geo positioning (GPS+WIFI positioning, Geocoding + Reverse Geocoding)
- Set access permissions based on your own communities and cultural protocols
- Mukurtu CMS standard metadata for all your content
- Demo user to test the app
- Internal documentation and online support page
- Mobile enabled in any Mukurtu CMS site (on request)
- NEW: Support for video and audio files
- NEW: Internal audio recorder
- NEW: Youtube integration for uploading your videos
- NEW: Full EXIF support for your media
- NEW: Preview your content online from the app
Release 2.0 - Roadmap
- We are embarking on Year II of a National Endowment for the Humanities grant aimed at further developing Mukurtu CMS and Mukurtu Mobile.
- We are working tirelessly on new tutorials and support documentation for both projects.
- Mukurtu CMS will be undergoing a major update before the end of 2014 making the platform more stable, secure and easy-to-use.
Enable Mobile on your Mukurtu CMS site
Mukurtu Mobile 2.0 can be downloaded for free from the Apple and Google app Stores on your mobile device. In addition to this, you will need to have:
- Access to your own Mukurtu CMS powered archive. Read more.
- Mobile upload will need to be enabled on your site. At this time, we request that you get in touch with us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll enable it for you.
Test the app with a demo account
Meanwhile, you will find instructions in the app for using a demo account on this site. Learn more.
Download the app now from the Store and don’t forget to give us feedback!
The Mukurtu Mobile online Support page provides answers to FAQs, live support, and options to leave feedback, report bugs or just get in touch.
Read our Getting Started checklist to access all you need to know about creating content with Mukurtu Mobile.
We are also putting together a brand new collection of video tutorials to guide you through the Mukurtu Mobile experience.